Saturday, December 30, 2006

So the two adopted Apex twins who had been kidnapped by their birth mother were found in Canada yesterday.

I had no idea that there were such strong anti-adoption sentiments out there. For several years I've had the idea that one day when I have a family, I would like to be a home and family to a child who needs it, so it's strange to see that there are those who believe there are no children who do need such a thing.

The reason I want to adopt is because of one of my best friends who (because of adoption) found herself taken out of a household of abuse and brought into an amazingly loving family. How can these people honestly say that adoption should be abolished, that she should have been left with drug-addicted, abusive parents? That's absolutely insane. She would tell you differently, because she was five when she was adopted, and she remembers what it was like before.

I don't pretend that the adoption process is entirely neat and fair; there's plenty of reform that can/should be done. But there's no way that means the system should be abolished entirely. Too many kids need it, and the adults who are selfish enough to say their rights are being trampled on should try considering those children for once.

No comments: