Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Starbucks freaks me out

This morning I went to the coffee mecca for what was maybe my fifth time ever. Ok ok...it was probably more like my sixth time. And pretty much my having a business meeting there was the only reason, because:

They may claim to be non-coffee-drinker-friendly, but I don't believe it...I'm telling you, you walk in there, you don't drink coffee, you feel like the outcast. Sure, they may have a mini section of their menu appropriated for non-coffee drinks (in the same box as the kid drinks...so don't go there if you already have a complex about being young), and they do actually make them, but still. I normally get the cider or the hot chocolate because I at least know what those are (and know they are kindly coffee-free), but I decided to expand my horizons...but be careful! I mean, the barista who took my order was visibly uncomfortable when I ventured to ask about the difference between the "Zen" green tea and...whatever the other kinds were. I'm sorry I don't have the menu memorized! I'm sorry I threw a kink in your routine! I'm sorry I don't belong here but I'm here anyway!

I don't mind that Starbucks is a definitive social phenomenon, that some people have compared it to a religion (though I personally prefer "cult"), that articles and books have been written about it...it's weird, but it's here. It's capitalism. It's coffee. People like coffee. They like choices. They like atmosphere.

And I do love the caramel apple cider...and Starbucks is cool, it's all good. No haterade here yo, only Zen green tea and hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. But you still freak me out, Bucky. And I'm not just talking about the Get Fuzzy feline. And if you know who that is, I will buy you whatever specialty drink you wish.....if it's at Caribou.

2 comments:

tom said...

que triste que no te gusta el starbucks, porque trabajo aya. no debes sentir que no estas bienvenido. y si, es por falta de baristas buenos. tenemos muchos bebidos para los quien no le gusta el cafe. pero, del otro lado, es "starbucks coffee co." :P ser honesto, los caribou's tipicamente tienen "tiendas/cafes" mejores para hacer la terea...pero, para el cafe, siempre elijo el starbucks.

tim jenkins said...

hot beverages are foolish period

and i live in connecticut