Monday, February 27, 2006

Tengo Una Duda

Not to be at all associated with the previous post, but I have another question:
Adults always say that no matter how hard you try, you'll still become your parents; specifically, the parent of your own gender.

Does that HAVE to be true? I really just don't believe it. There will always be influences, and strong ones, to be sure (but if/once they're recognized, can't they be curbed, if they're bad?)...but I just cannot believe that our uncontrollable destiny is to turn into our parents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the inevitability of becoming *just* like my parents is true, but you have to admit that (for most people) the most developmental years of a person's life are spent with his/her parents. Sometimes you can't fight the influence: I think I will always be immensely stubborn like both of my parents are. I know they are the most influential people of my life (so far, at least). I still think that I can choose to not be like them, in certain aspects.

As for being more like the parent of your own gender, I disagree. I'm certainly a mix of traits from both of my parents, plus some things unique to me. But I would hazard that I am more like my dad and that my brother is more like my mom.

I seem to just be repeating the same ideas over and over. Anyway, as much as you carry characteristics of your parents, you're still uniquely you.