Tuesday, March 06, 2007

of fly traps and foolish teachers...et cetera.

I saw a car get pulled on my way home tonight, and the first thing I thought of was, "I'm witnessing a venus fly trap suck in its prey." No joke, that's the image I instantly saw. I'm all for police protection and such, but still, the sight of a police car on the road makes my insides shudder.

Just like reading David's psalms and such makes me feel better about feeling bipolar sometimes, something I read in one of Paul's Corinthian letters the other day made me feel better about how often I feel foolish for saying some of the things I do, but still feel compelled to say them. Ah ok yes 2 Cor. 11 -- "don't think that i have lost my wits to talk like this...i'm talking like a fool again...i know i sound like a madman, but..." I know that presented like this, it's a bit out of context, but reading it was so interesting to me...i've somehow never noticed this nuance before and I really appreciate it. It makes me "feel better," yes, but it also seems to cut down any excuse i have for being down on myself for those kinds of things--they obviously didn't let it hinder them.

Out of the blue today the younger sister of my childhood best friend, who died from an asthma attack a year or so after I moved here from CA, Myspaced me. She had been looking through old yearbooks, she said. I read some of her blog posts and it seems the loss of her sister is still something to which she's very far from being reconciled. it made my heart hurt a lot for her...i haven't responded yet. i think i'll be mulling over this one a bit longer.

Roommatechelle and i have often ruminated over the value of writing things down that we learn (in journaling, blogging, or whatever) because we are bound to forget it and need to be able to read back over it. This is true. I have now also found another edifying element of writing, specifically in the making of it public (not blogging, where maybe 5 people may read it, but publishing, where potentially many people see it): having lessons-learned scribblings put up by another as "words of wisdom" has an almost frightening element of accountability to it. One hopes that one could practice what one preaches -- but it's still kind of scary, in a good way, to think about. If that made any sense at all.

No comments: