Monday, January 29, 2007

Revelaciones

In my bi-weekly program trainings, we have to talk about our "revelations"...a time during which I am usually quietly chuckling to myself, because mine are not generally revelations that I care to share with my co-workers.

Here are a few from the past few days:

-I think I love dramatic songs (whether lyrically or musically) partly because I get some kind of vicarious pleasure out of them. Because apparently I'm bored with my life again.

-I really, really miss being a part of the music scene. (At Coffeehouse last night, I came up with the idea that if I can't do it, maybe I can just marry an established musician and live vicariously through him, and it was suggested that I move to Nashville...what do you think? "Hi, are you a successful musical artist? No? It was nice talking to you." I'm sure I could parlay it into a hit reality show, at the very least.)

-I hate giving advice to people. I'd much prefer to just be there for them, sympathize with them and try to be an uplifting and/or objectively logical and neutral presence (depending on the nature of the situation). I think under a lot of circumstances, advice-giving is presumptuous at best, and a great burden of responsibility at worst.

also,

-I think I dislike giving advice particularly because people tend to toss it out so flippantly, and it rubs me the wrong way when people do that. "Don't worry, it'll work out/you'll figure it out!"..."Just be patient; it'll happen when it's the right time"..."Just trust God"....Thank you, so much, for those things which I have never before thought of myself. Not.
-Sometimes people don't know what to say, I guess...although sometimes, nothing needed to be said, so I don't know why they do.
-I think that's why, unless I really trust someone, I tend to keep my issues and questions to myself. (I don't count blogging...obviously :P. The burden of a response is virtually nonexistant; you can say whatever you want and no one needs to attempt to retreat from social discomfort by offering one of the aforementioned catchphrases.)
-Taking advice from someone near my age seems pretty laughable a lot of the time. Unless you've already been in a situation remarkably similar to mine, I'd prefer you to be at least almost twice my age; then we can talk.
-I think what I appreciate the most (and therefore, how I tend to respond to people) is not when people give advise to me, but when they speculate with me. Not that I don't seek advice outright; I do that too, but more often than not I'd rather simply talk things out. I think that's one reason roommatechelle and I get along so well....

Speaking of the good woman, she just posted a contribution to the growing World of Pith...Starbucks, conflict diamonds and good world citizenship. go read.

2 comments:

jinglchelle said...

yes, that's JUST what i was thinking...and boy do i LOVE to speculate...probably too much sometimes, whew!

and a shout out on your page? woot woot!

Mip said...

michelle.

i can't believe you used the Woot Woot...well actually, i guess i can hahaha

ps, can you think of a weirder thing for people to say? i know i'm the noise--queen but i don't even think that's something ppl say out loud...i just don't understand the Woot Woot. sigh.