Saturday, January 13, 2007

on music.

(just because)

I go through my phases, and I do enjoy a pretty good variety of music, but I always find myself wandering back to the same favorite style--the poignant, melt-in-your-mouth, rich-yet-restrained style that makes me want to close my eyes and listen (and wish I had written it first). Songs like Coldplay's "See You Soon," Patty Griffin's "Peter Pan", Ray Lamontagne's "Hold You In My Arms" (*current favorite), Eva Cassidy's "Songbird," Rocky Votolato's "White Daisy Passing," Sixpence's "Tension Is a Passing Note," Norah Jones' "Nightingale," Eisley's "Just Like We Do," and Jewel's "Near You Always"...just to give you a taste. :P

I've always thought music would be a serious hobby for me and not a career, but sometimes I wonder, what if...It's such a strange thought, because I think it would have to be an accident, because for some reason, it's not something I've chased after. And those kinds of accidents rarely happen. But if an accident like that fell into my lap, I think, though surprised, I would love it. I just don't actually think that could ever happen.

I do feel like there's a lot left for me to do, though, the surface of which I've barely scratched. I hope this thing called music is a part of my life for the entire rest of it...I hate to think of getting married and getting a career and having kids and getting so wrapped up in that happy little breakneck-speed world that my music fell by the wayside as "a hobby of my youth," because that would be such a tragic shame to me. I hope that never, never never happens.



No comments: