Saturday, January 21, 2006

my former life

So, I really miss playing m' 'cello. I need to make time to do this.

Short-term speaking, i miss playing, period. Long-term, I miss my classical days...when my fingers were actually strong and my sightreading was more than decent and I didn't get tired after 5 minutes.

Strange how I seem to have traded one skill set for another...I can't physically do nearly as much as I used to be able to do, but I can play by ear a WHOLE lot better than I used to be able to do. Which was pretty much not at all.

I don't regret moving away from classical, though. A skill lost can be regained, but a skill never gained to start with is never going to do you any good, period.

Practice: just another thing to add to my post-grad to-do list.

This nostalgia was brought to you by the never-ending process of uploading music to the iPod, i.e. an excerpt from the 2001 North Carolina Eastern Regional All State Honors Symphony Orchestra. If that doesn't sound pretentious enough, this piece is called "Symphonie Fantastique, 4th Movement: March of the Scaffold," by Hector Berlioz.

Probably one of my 3 favorite classical music experiences ever.

The cellos rock this piece up. :)

2 comments:

hot cross buns said...

Hey did you know that Shaun did his internship with TWR, for broadcasting. He loved it too.

hot cross buns said...

And that first sentence should have been a question. ...?