Sunday, January 01, 2006

And so the bells begin.

Wedding bells, of course. Friday night I just went to my first "real" wedding ('real' meaning it wasn't for a distant relative, a friend that I'm only slightly aquainted with, or simply a wedding I was hired to play at).

Friday night marked the first in what I have been assured (by my father?...) will be a torrent of weddings I will be attending in the next five years. Yeah, I know supposedly I'm at that "age" when many peers will be tying the knot; several of my friends go to at least half a dozen weddings every summer, it seems. But honestly, at least in the next couple years, I don't know of very many I'll be attending, though of course even a year can bring change to that.

Interruption from iPod: I came here with a load, and it seems so much lighter now I met you...and honey you should know, I could never go on without you.

Yes, my hopes exactly--perfect timing. :P

My views on the appropriate age of marriage have certainly changed in the last few years. I used to think that anyone who got married right out of college was being entirely ridiculous and immature, and then I eventually made my way to thinking that it's not such a bad idea after all. Although that later opinion probably came from getting older and closer to the end of college and recognizing the desireability of having someone by your side to cushion the blows of a transition to "the real world." And anyway, they do say that the more successful marriages are the ones that were entered into closer to 30 years of age than 20, though there are many personal factors to be considered besides age, obviously. Though little of this matters much to me at this point, given that if I met someone tomorrow it'd still be a number of years before I got there anyway.

So what do YOU think? Given the fact that most people who read this go to Campbell i.e. home-of-many-young-marriages, I know there must be some interesting opinions out there. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...yes, safe to post on a web blog read by many Campbell students with out pissing someone off...NO

Heather said...

Enjoy each phase of life fully. College is the last (maybe only) time in your life that you'll be able to "live" with your friends, and to have little to no responsibility. Enjoy it. I personally wouldn't want the financial restraints that come with being married in college. But this is all my personal opinion that, in the end, matters not at all. :)