Monday, January 09, 2006

*internal freak-out*

...the GOOD kind!!

It's lunchtime of Day One at my internship at TransWorldRadio in Cary, and I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. To start, I am currently sitting in my own office with a window-wall that overlooks a lake (don't get jealous; I'm sure that once I graduate I'll join the cube-dwelling ranks soon enough).

But on to the actually important stuff--it's very apparent that the people here are quite as serious and as intent upon taking advantage of this arrangement as I am. When I got here this morning, the heads of the PR and Spanish departments, as well as the woman in charge for a particular women's ministry, were in a meeting discussing how they thought my skills can meet their needs--and not photocopying, mail-running, data-entering needs (you know, from the typical worthless internship stories). Nope, this is more like translating projects, writing news releases in both languages, developing original book material in Spanish, and even the potential of starting and developing a bilingual TWR newsletter for the Americas.

As I've been sitting here translating a proposal to create a women's ministry website from one of the South American offices, I've been trying to supress continual fits of laughter...It is ridiculously gratifying to actually be using my Spanish for something real...

True to my instinct, in the back of my mind I keep telling myself not to get too excited, that the novelty will wear off and soon I'll be wondering what I'm doing here...but honestly, I don't think that's going to happen, at least with the wondering part. And regardless, if today is any indication, I think this is going to be an incredibly beneficial experience, and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can...

No comments: