Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I lied to you, Michelle.

I'm not going to do something productive before the game. Unless you consider "emotionally/intellectually/introspectively productive" a viable option.... :-)

I mentioned earlier that I've discovered I have a tendency to "look down" on certain groups of Christians, and for a ridiculous reason...but let me back up.

Pretty much my entire life I've encountered/been surrounded by Christians who are (supposedly) zealous in their faith, a trait (for lack of a better word) which is very much expressed in their words. For example, one will very frequently hear (or read, depending on the medium of comm.) these persons make frequent statements alluding to the goodness of God, His majesty, kindness, etc. One will hear petitions that [fill in the blank] would be for God's glory and His alone; one will hear oft-proclaimed thanksgiving for any number of blessings...or, even blessings in disguise. And so on and so forth; you get the picture.

I've recently discovered that, sadly, I have subconsciously conditioned myself to reject statements such as these as anything based on any kind of sincerity, if it comes from someone I don't know very intimately and whose sincerity I cannot blindly trust. I hear someone say in everyday, non-religious-themed conversation, "Praise God," and my first emotionally-based response is, "like they really have thought about that." I read someone's blog where someone thanked God for His amazing graciousness and faithfulness, and the first thing I think is, "suck up" (not necessarily to God, but to whomever may be reading). I know, I know...

Looking back, I realized that so many of those Christians who have crossed paths with me for one reason or another didn't back up what they said with their attitude, or with their actions. Or I could tell they were saying these things because they read that they were supposed to in "The Idiot's Guide For: Being a Good Little Christian," not because they really believed it. And this is why it's so hard for me to trust what people say.

And so, instead of rejoicing when those brothers and sisters whom I don't know very well rejoice, and instead of encouraging and being encouraged when they verbally seek for God to be glorified (and other things of that nature), I am immediately on my guard. Or, more accurately, I immediately assume the worst. Which happens to quietly, slyly manifest itself in my looking down on them before I even realize I am...

Perhaps it would behoove us to not ALWAYS take everything at face value, without any consideration, but I took it to the extreme. I really don't want to approach the community of believers, my community which sustains and encourages me, with pessimism and negativity.

3 comments:

huitzilin said...

(Before continuing, I just want to comment on how well you write!)

Your post is intriguing, although hesitant. It seems as though you feel a tad guilty for having these thoughts.

There are a lot of hypocrites out there, ones that publicly thank God for winning a basketball game, an Academy Award, a Beta Club election... really, folks, as if God (if there is one) were genuinely interested in who is the treasurer for a high school club. Then there is the other group, the Pat Robertsons, who claim to have prayed away a hurricane from Virginia a couple of years ago (but the folks farther north that were inundated were probably not too happy about that!). Then you have the people who make a big attention-getting to-do about asking God to bless their food and then spend their meal gossiping frivolously with their companion.

Does this sound bitter? I sincerely didn't intend for it to be that way! It's just frustrating to witness superficiality in action.

I think that people like the above-mentioned are (at least a small part of) the reason why I'm agnostic.

Anyway, your blog is interesting. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

yes, you do write well. :)

Anonymous said...

"as if God (if there is one) were genuinely interested in who is the treasurer for a high school club."

i believe everyone, no matter who they are or what they say they believe, secretly hopes he does.