Sunday, August 07, 2005

churnin' like buttah

...is how i've (for some reason) chosen to qualify the state of my mind at this moment. (ohhh how i'm enjoying these last few days of intellectual freedom...before i return to Campbell, land of guilt-laden pondering and writing, so laden because I always know there's something else I should be doing....bleh.)

I just spent the past two hours talking to my dad about an amalgam of political, social, and spiritual/theological themes. (Sidenote: I look foward to more and more convos like that with him, and with friends, even though it does sometimes frustrate me that I have allowed myself to be ignorant and uninformed on many topics, and therefore can usually only offer very few carefully-reached opinions; the bulk of what comes out of my mouth is a barrage of questions. One day I hope to be able to offer both the questioning and its counterpart: to define what i really think and believe, and to be able to freakin back it up.)

Anyway. Some of the stuff he says just seems so contrary to what I would naturally think, conditioned as i am by society, peers, etc....but it all made so much sense!! I didn't really "like" some of what he had to say--because honestly, some of it just goes against the grain--but i cannot deny that what he put forth was pretty solid. I tried punching holes.....not my forte, I know, but I'm also not an idiot...and I gained about zero ground. And now I'm left with this seeming contradiction of not being satisfied with the endpoints of his arguments, but not being able to deny them, either. I guess I'm also partially wrestling with the practical vs. the theoretical.

I'll purposefully leave that vague, mainly because I'm lazy. But man, I wish a bunch more people had been privy to that conversation...I would so love to hear my dad in dialogue with any number of my more thoughtful friends, just to hear how they would object and how he would respond.

Hmmm.



My head is full of thoughts, but not just about politics and the like. There's also thoughts on...

my future: my impending career, my calling(s), where I'll end up, with whom I'll end up

friends: friends who are hurting, friends who merit far more than I give, friends who have given me more than i deserve myself, the necessary basis of unconditional love in all our relationships and what that really means

my responsibility as: a citizen, a human, a friend, a follower of Christ, and as a member of a community on every level, from my immediate, biological family, right up to the world in general

the level of value/worth of: money, time, discipline, sacrifices


About half of these things have been on my mind for months or years, while I've kind of been smacked with the other half in the last 36 hours or so. It will be interesting to see where all that goes.


For those of you who somehow aren't bored/sick of "hearing" me talk, read the previous entry, and follow the instructions at the end. =-P

No comments: