Tuesday, August 09, 2005

...and the greatest of these is love

I am so incredibly blessed to have the brother I do in Justin. Our relationship is so tight and without conflict that sometimes people don't even believe me when I tell them that's how it is. There are some things which I don't know how I would get through without him.

This past year, I have really been impacted with just how important talking things out is....keeping heart-matter from getting out probably never did anyone any good. Not that it's always easy to get/let out, at least not for me; on the contrary, I've found that it's usually difficult and often frightening, depending on the context. But always worth it...

Today, surrounded by our favorite Bo's meal, Justin and I hit upon both some heartbreaking aspects and some strangely uplifting aspects of our family...and were struck with the awesome responsibility of being called to love someone. We never concluded that loving someone is always a calling, but that at least in some cases it definitely is, and sometimes it can bring more pain than joy. And that for someone to stay true to that calling in the midst of pain and in the absence of encouragement really is something.

* * *

'Cause love is different than you think
It's never in a song or on a TV screen
And love is harder than a word
Said at the right time and everything's alright
Love is different than you think

No comments: