Friday, October 31, 2008

Why I hate election season.

One of the hardest things I have experienced, in this election season, is the difficulty of not being swayed by the opinions of people I know and/or care about.

It's pretty internally infuriating, because these people fall very hard on both sides of the election, especially presidentially-speaking.

I want to make up my own mind...and yet, I hear compelling arguments from both sides. And yes, you're reading this right - except for the senate race, I have yet to 100% make up my mind about who I am voting for in ANYthing.

At least I decided to vote, period, a decision that only came in the last few months. I eventually decided that it's not a good reason to vote just because I don't support any one candidate; instead, I hope to figure out who I'm in the least favor of, and then vote for the other guy. I realized there's probably a 0.0001 percent chance that in my lifetime, a candidate (for any office) will arise with whom I fully agree. So I'm trying to get over that.

(Actually, the ultimate decision-maker for me was when I read an article on the women's suffrage movement...I couldn't not vote after reading some of what I did. Even if it kills a little piece of me to vote for someone I'm not completely behind.)

I mentioned in a workshop the other day that I'm not a political person, and I could tell by some others' reactions that they thought this meant I don't really care about politics. This isn't true. I think politics are important, in many ways; it's just that I get so angry and frustrated with many aspects of the political realm (oh, pessimist me), that I can't even stand to think about it. There are other things more important to me that require my passion.

And that, my friends, is why I hate election season: I can hardly bear to think about all that it means, but since I have a social conscience, I kind of have to...

1 comment:

Julie on an adventure said...

I hear ya Melins. Stick to your guns though..whatever they may be. Go with what your heart is telling you is most right and sincere and honest. My advice to you even if you don't want to take it is don't flutter with the changing of the times. Find out what you think is best for all people and for maintaining what our country was founded on, not just the few that seem to get all the attention in this election.

Either way, we all should remember that even if it's hard, we can love each other despite our different opinions. :)