Friday, August 01, 2008

Just stick to the music, Bono!

...is what some people are saying (and have been saying).


I just don't know. Yes, part of me thinks it's a bit dodgy that he legally moved (or the band did? I can't remember which) so that his U2 money wouldn't have to go to Irish taxes. But then again, isn't he using that untaxed money for good? (Or as Shane Claiborne might ask, if he's using the money to further the kingdom of God rather than furthering the government's agenda, what's the problem? Though I'm not saying that's what he's doing.)

I know a lot of people, my father included, think some of Bono's philanthropic efforts are misguided. He does indeed have the power to influence a lot of people, and that influence shouldn't be taken lightly.

But really...he could be using his fame and fortune to glamorize a crappily hedonistic celebrity lifestyle, couldn't he?

That's all I'm saying.

(PS - somewhat unrelatedly, how's this for irony)

No comments: