Wednesday, February 14, 2007

thoughts on You Know What

[no comments, please, on how this post's subject matter has nothing to do with today's holiday, what with all its commercialized glory and such...that is quite beside the point. not that there is a point; these are just some thoughts/opinions I've gathered over the years.]

  • While it does make me sad to see how there are so many things mistakenly given the love-label, I've had to concede that, to an extent, real love may still look different for different people.

That being said, though,

  • I don't understand how people can think they really love someone they've never met/barely know at all...that's just weird to me
  • I don't think love can possibly reach its full potential unless it goes both ways...you may think you love me, but only when I love you back will you really know what love is. I don't care if that makes me sound vain :P
  • I pray I never have to fall in love more than once. But I don't believe the idea is an impossibility, in general.
  • I think the biggest barrier (and yet one so overlooked) to having a healthy relationship, between believers at least, is when you consistently love your significant other more than you love the Lord. seriously.
  • I completely do not believe in "the One" philosophy, not just because there are already pressures enough without thinking like that, but also because I don't think God would be so cruel as to orchestrate our lives in a "one shot and you're out" kind of way. He's not like that with his love, so why would romantic love be different?
  • I think love = something you decide to do (I hate to be so pragmatic, but this is just the way I see it). My (admittedly oversimplifying) analogy: at the beginning, you have to choose to let yourself walk down that road; then, there's a stretch during which you couldn't jump off the path, even if your life depended on it; and finally, further down the road you will at times have to choose to keep walking it.

That's enough for now.

So i counted, and I said the word "love" 13 times...if you're off throwing up somewhere, I apologize, I guess...even though what I'm really thinking is that you should get over it. :P

2 comments:

Jeff said...

great thoughts!
I thought you made a great point about God and "the one" philosophy. I've never heard it put that way, but that makes perfect sense.

My only question is I'm not sure how you would evaluate whether someone was loving their significant other more than they love the Lord. But maybe I'm not understanding your wording.

Mip said...

no, I think you probably did understand, and truthfully I don't know how one could accurately evaluate that--for someone else. I think it's something each person has to consider for him or herself.