Monday, February 19, 2007

lovely, dark and deep

Robert Frost was such a master at his craft.

His "Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening" has always spoken to me with its gently beautiful imagery, but I think the part that speaks to me most strongly is the last three lines, particularly the third-to-last. Something about "but I have promises to keep" has always called to mind such a tender affection for his family (how I've imagined it since I first read it) that it makes me want to close my eyes and smile.

That, and the fact that I will forever associate this poem with the song my friend wrote around it. It's so amazingly beautiful, and she wrote me into it, and we haven't played it in a couple years but now her senior composition recital is coming up and it's being revived as one of the selections. I just came back from rehearsal and I feel like dancing slowly through falling snow. :)

Everybody should come hear it and the rest of her showcase, March 19. :)

No comments: