Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Finding a Job In the Nonprofit World

I don't pretend to be a know-it-all when it comes to this topic, but lately I've had enough people asking me about it that I figured I'd post everything I've learned in the last couple years. (Some of this is obviously just for North Carolinians.)

In no particular order:

►Get involved in the local nonprofit scene through volunteerism, if you're not already. This helps begin to establish your cred with nonprofits, and it may open up some networking doors.

If you need some inspiration:

►Become familiar with the Philanthropy Journal. They are more or less the nonprofit news source in North Carolina, and if you want a job with a nonprofit, you should try to be reasonably in-the-know with the sector.


Consider a nonprofit fellowship. This is especially something to consider if you're looking for an entry-level position.
  • I did Public Allies (an AmeriCorps partner program) for two years, and not only did it change my life overall, it also led directly to my current job (PR & Communications Director for NCGives).
  • There are also fellowships at a few foundations in NC. (I don't know which ones off the top of my head; if you want to know, email me at work.)

Get your network on. The nonprofit sector is no different from the rest of the job world in this respect.
  • A cheap way to start this is with Philanthropy Journal's Lunch 'N' Learns (each one is in a different location around the state).
  • If you have a bit more cash to spare, you might consider the statewide nonprofit conference.
  • The NC Center for Nonprofits also lists several nonprofit networking groups throughout the state (I haven't participated in any of them but it's probably a place to start, if there's one in your area).

Get educated. I've personally done Duke's Nonprofit Management program and highly recommend it. There's also several degree programs at NCSU, and other programs around the state.

And of course,
Try ye olde internet jobsearch.

And finally, the headhunters at Capability Company may be a source to tap into, particularly if you're looking for a beyond-entry-level position.


Hope this was helpful!

No comments: