Monday, December 15, 2008

You know you are too busy when...

You know you are too busy when you forget to open the email that's telling you it's time to pay your credit card bill.

Dang it!

A friend and I were joking the other day about how we need an extreme personal assistant to help us keep track of all our bills, insurance stuff, retirement plans, and to remind us to call Grandma on her birthday, bake for church this weekend and floss our teeth daily.

Seriously, I feel like I am constantly making efforts to become more organized, more responsible, more on top of things, but it never seems to be quite enough. AGHHH. I'm sure this is all part of learning to be an adult yadda yadda blah blah blah, but if I can barely handle things now (and half the time, I'm pretty sure I'm not) I don't want to think about what it will be like as my life gets more complicated.

Because I'm assuming it will. Our society, for all it's gadgetry and "self-helpthink" geared toward making our lives more simple, is still very steadily plodding along to more and more complexity, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm sure it's been good for something. Well, I take that back; I'm not totally sure. Are more people really receiving more help to live better lives, or is all this complexity just shoving us toward bigger and better ways to increase our own comfort, financial success and sense of self-importance? Sometimes I question if it's really worth it.

I'm not going to lie; one reason I love reading books set in earlier time periods is because I love fantasizing about a time when our world had not be revolutionized by modern technology. Everything moved more slowly, I think, pre-internet and other tech advances. Yeah, we get more done, now...but at what cost? Our way of living has been forever changed, and (outside of medical advances) I really can't decide if the good outweighs the bad.

If you think I'm being melodramatic, let me tell you this: I have lived almost directly across the street from an acquaintance from church for more than a year now. Have we ever hung out, being about a 3-second walk from each other? Nope, because we didn't realize we were neighbors until last week! How did we not know this?? Once upon a time, there would have been no way to not know this.

Sigh...I love having cutting-edge medicine and DVDs, but other than that, I think modern life is too complicated for my taste.

No comments: