Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Get thee to a nunnery!

...or, how about a monastery? I've just found out that I'm going to be spending the week after Easter at a Trappist monastery in South Carolina.

I suppose this is related to the previous post a bit, but it's not a sudden decision, exactly. I've wanted to do it for years.

I say "just found out," though, because I merely inquired about room availability for "any of the weeks in April"...and the next day got an email back saying they had made a reservation for me the week after Easter. I was a little bemused but decided to roll with it.

Oh, and Trappists don't talk, or not most of the time, anyway. I've been wanting a quiet week; looks like I'm going to get one in a big way.

I'm really, really excited. And a little scared (in a good way). Spiritual development and communion and fellowship aside (which I of course look forward to, though with some trepidation...maybe I'll explain later), I'm also ecstatic about spending a full week away from conventional society.

I picked April hoping the weather would be fairly mild (and also because their flower gardens might be picking up about then...I love absorbing God through nature's beauty). "Guestmaster" Brother Stephen picked the week of Easter Sunday; I'm going with it.

It's funny; I'm already reminded that I will be spending time in a community of humans, not otherworldly, perfect saints. About a year ago, the Mepkin Abbey monks were embroiled in a controversy for the inhumane treatment of their chickens (though sadly, the said practices are pretty standard for most farmers). Even though they've done away with those practices (because, they said, the controversy was disrupting their monastic life), that was a bit disappointing. But...who am I kidding? They are human. Was I looking to spend time with perfect, sinless creatures? I'd have to go into the isolated wilderness to commune with God for that one, and I'm definitely not ready for that.

Anyway, I've never done anything remotely close to this. I've never even been to a Catholic mass, except one Easter when I was 13, I think. Definitely have never spent more than a day around people without talking, much less five. Definitely have never eaten a vegetarian diet for more than one meal at a time. Definitely have never had so much free time to be quiet and alone with God with only myself as a possible distraction.

I can't wait to hear what I have to share when I get back...hopefully something.

2 comments:

traci said...

That is awesome. Where is the monastery? I'll be praying for your time there.

Mip said...

it's near Charleston. thanks!