Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Music is my boyfriend.

...That used to be the joke, back in college, when I did not really date real boys and spent most of my free time trying-to-or-making music. (If you want a good laugh, look at Melinda's old band...old enough that people weren't even using MySpace that much yet!)

But alas, my lover's gone...where'd you go? i miss you so...seems like it's been forever since you've been gone!..you know i love you...

(haha. i've always found it so interesting how easily love/romance/relationship metaphors are applied to music and especially to musical endeavors.)

and really, i love my friends, and i do miss classical music as much as everything else, but playing in friends' weddings just isn't quite what i'm talking about.

i miss road trips to random gigs in random cafes with next-to-no space...
i miss friends showing up in other cities just to support us
i miss awkward tune changes when the guys would try to make me kill time with the mic
i miss playing at Berkeley Cafe and being told i'm a badass "cello player"
i miss finally gathering the courage to show people i could sing
i miss accidentally awesome jam sessions
i miss a capella duets with my Tara Shannon (I've got everything we ever did tattooed on my heart)
i miss "roadie" Ginny helping with my music as it inevitably flutters everywhere!
i miss pulling off the hardest classical piece of my life without a teacher's help
i miss playing a part for the world premiere of a very talented classical composer! :)
i miss having a reason to hit up Sam Ash for specialized gear
i miss the joy of finally ditching some of the sheet music
i miss my case getting more compliments than me or my instrument combined
i miss being told i'm effing awesome by drunken music aficcionados
i miss feigning coolness for a photo shoot
i miss finally finding the exact right riff to fit the puzzle
i miss enjoying studio sessions
i miss putting myself to sleep with my borrowed guitar
i miss bumming rides to practice. Wait, not really...
...but i do miss harmonica send-offs on the return trip home!


Oh, Music. I miss you. I hope you're doing well.
;)

[image fm adriano agullo]


PS, if you can identify all the songs used in this post, you win a copy of OneLessFrame's "Biggest Hits: Straight From the Creek." (Sorry, Mich, you are probably the only person who could win this, but you're also probably the only person who already owns the prize...hah :)

3 comments:

jinglchelle said...

well DANG IT...you called me out just as i was thinking "i've totally got this!"

but i'm going o try it anyway...

"my lover's gone" - dido
"where'd you go" - fort minor
"you know i love you" - alison krauss??

is that it or am i missing something?

and yes, of course i already have the cd. i'm a major groupie. i mean, i even moved in with one of the band members - only b/c you were in the band, not b/c of our friendship. :)

see you TOMORROW!

Mip said...

oho, my dear chelle you are 3 for 7! Well, I guess 4; I suppose I'll give you Alison Krauss even though I was thinking Beatles...but,

"music is my boyfriend" - the iPod commercial is how you've heard it, but it's from a real song by CSS!

"I've got everything we ever did tattooed on my heart" - Keri Noble (that was "one of our songs" for TSP and me back in the day)

Those two were hard. But i can't BELIEVE you missed this one!!!! -

"I hope you're doing well.."

...OneLessFrame, and from your favorite song, helloooo!! ;) Good thing you already have our CD b/c you so did not win it. hahaha.

See you TOMORROW yayy :)

jinglchelle said...

okay, i totally realized i forgot music is my boyfriend in the shower this morning. i'm a dork.

TOTALLY don't know the keri noble reference.

and i'm crying right now b/c i missed the last one. my favorite song that i listen to everyday. (obviously, i just read it without thinking!)

thanks for the challenge, roommate who taught me good music!