Friday, April 07, 2006

proof that blogging is good for melinda...and a thought that changed the world

Within the past year or so, I’ve gotten very used to the concept of having stark internal contradictions, but I can’t say I’ve gotten used to each one in particular…

On one point, it is so strange, it is just so strange, that you can at once reject something as ridiculous, and have it be an inseparable part of you. That you can lament how it’s manifest in someone else’s life, and yet be unable to stop it within your own. That you can wholeheartedly declare you will have no part of it, all the while forgetting, somehow, that it has been with you for a long time, and is not looking to leave.

You’d think I would be used to that, since that’s really the way sin works, too. Hm.

That really makes me think, now, and I can’t believe I haven’t thought of it this way before…but maybe it’s possible for God’s grace to extend even further than the realm of sin, and into our own personality, memory and even instinct. What a wonderful measure of grace, of mercy, that would be.

Maybe it’s possible that I have too narrow a perception of “sin,” and the “grace” that wipes it out. Maybe Christ saved us in one fell swoop from eternal damnation because of sin, but maybe God also continually saves us from ourselves in this life, from everything that is not of Him, which is nearly everything we are, ever since shortly after the Beginning…

Wait a second…

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

oh

So I’m slow. That’s okay, Bono’s probably already long-figured everything I’ll ever come across, anyway…    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, when did you stop using Xanga...or did you ever. holla!