Wednesday, July 16, 2008

breaking the musicfast!

More than a year ago (several?) I basically stopped buying music. For real. For the same reason that I try not to buy chocolate, or buy ice cream, or start watching a new series I've never watched online (where all the episodes are available at once): once I start, I very nearly can't stop. Pandora.com is probably the only thing that allowed me to do this; otherwise I would have died inside from lack of new music. But I think it's time for the fast to end, and I can't wait to start splurging on...
  • BeyoncĂ©! Somehow I own nothing of her music...I think she is one of the most talented pop (in the broad sense) music-makers out there today. girl power music at its best - love it.
  • Over the Rhine. newly introduced to them and she's basically who I want to be.
  • Emilliana Torrini. beautiful voice, entrancing music.
  • Eisley's newest album...i'm still steaming from having gotten the time wrong for a recent show, and walking in right after they finished.
  • The Album Leaf. chill and pretty.
  • Sufjan Stevens. been listening to him for years...to the same 4 songs. dumb. no more.
  • Patty Griffin...everything I don't already have :)
  • Bjork
  • Chris Thile
  • Nickel Creek - everything! i only had one album, and I've lost even that one. not owning NC is like an insult to music.
  • Rocky Votolato
  • Mason Jennings. his music makes me feel so happy, haha
  • The Frames. going backward from having listened to The Swell Season first, the Frames are just as great.
  • Coldplay's newest. I feel silly even admitting that one.
  • Ray LaMontagne...everything i don't already have.
  • Rich Price.
  • Damien Rice! how do i only have 2 songs?? ridiculous.
  • ...and more Ray Charles, Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney, Rachmaninoff, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Turina, Mozart, Beethoven, Elgar..
And that's pretty much scratching the surface. mmmmm i can almost taste the forthcoming musical goodness now :)




No comments: