Sunday, September 17, 2006

TODO Cambia

So week two of my new job is upon me and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. This work belongs to such a different realm than what I have been used to my entire life, and I haven't quite figured out how to handle it all yet...

I don't mind being uncomfortable if it's in a good, "I'm being stretched" way, but the whole being somewhat apprehensive about going in to work thing, I dearly hope that passes pretty quickly. Because I have the next 10 months to be in it.

It occurs to me that pretty much NO one knows what I'm talking about right now, most likely, but suffice it to say:

I'm supposed to be fluent in Spanish
I'm supposed to overlook (?) things that contradict my beliefs
I'm supposed to not be phased by sex, homosexuality, transgenderism, terminal illness, etc.
I'm supposed to provide "pastoral counseling" without really talking about Christ unless invited
I'm supposed to be honest and open with my team on quite an intense personal level, regardless of the fact that I don't think anyone shares my faith, which essentially defines who I am

All situations that I'm not accustomed to. Not to mention the fact that this is not going to be a 9-5 job I can drop when I walk out the door, but is going to follow me pretty much everywhere. It already is.

I keep saying it, but it's all I know right now: it's gonna be an interesting year, chicos.

No comments: